Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Halloween Bat Stew and Dress-up

I don't know if I even like stew.  The food or the name.  But I made it last night.  I had more fun imagining it was bat stew than realizing I was following the bland path of my English foremothers.



Also, as a last hurrah, I had a Reese's pumpkin for dessert.  I ate it with a fork on a dessert plate, and it tasted oh so good.  So this is it.  No sugar.  I promise not to write about the sugar thing every day.  I just have to get my head around it.

Here's another good reason to give up the Reese's: (from Mitch Hedberg)

I get the Reese's candy bar, if you read that name:  Reese's - that's an apostrophe S.  Reese - apostrophe S on the end of that name.  That means the candy bar is his.  I did not know that.  Next time you're eating a Reese's candy bar, and a guy named Reese comes by and says, "Let me have that," you'd better hand it over.  
"I'm sorry Reese, I didn't think I'd ever run into you. ...Lemme at least have a piece!" 

And thanks for the recipes.  Keep 'em coming!  I've gotten a lot of soup recipes.  Perfect for this time of year!

I'm back in the sewing mode.  I think I'll sew something today.  Not a halloween costume.  I just don't think I'm up for painting my belly as a pumpkin or dressing as a pregnant pirate.  I'm flat uninspired by the google images of maternity halloween costumes.  But I did find these cuties:

or 


Which do you vote for?  I have to decide today, or it will probably be too late.  Are you dressing up?  What will you be?

5 comments:

  1. i love the skeleton. I wished I'd been preggo at h'ween as I wanted it last year!! You guys could always pull out the drunk santa & preggo reindeer, always a party fave!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. on the no sugar. I had to adopt a diabetic diet in order to get pregnant, as my body is insulin/glucose intolerent. There is a great crock-pot diabetes cookbook, called fix it and forget it...it's got great stuff inside. Oh, and the sugar free candies are really yummy! They are expensive, but the chocolates are yum-o!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After seeing them on here, I vote skeleton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh Skeleton for sure, it is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soup:

    You know me, Mrs. F, I don't measure or follow recipes at all; however, I made an amazing soup yesterday which went something like this:

    *Chop up all the wilt, old celery left in the fridge (probably 5 stocks)
    *sautee it in olive oil with one whole white onion.
    *Toss in 2 bay leaves. Add approx 3-4 garlic cloves chopped.
    *Add 1 TBS chicken broth/bouillon paste. Add water ... I have no idea how much, I just filled the pot.
    *Chop up about 5 big ol' beautiful carrots and dump them in.
    *Add salt and pepper and about 3/4 - 1 TBS powdered ginger.
    *Add one skinned potato (I had actually a left over baked potato so I just skinned it and dumped it in already cooked but I'm sure you could cube a raw one and dump that in as well).
    *Simmer until carrots are soft.
    *Blend with immersion blender. (oh! Take out the bay leaves ... I failed to do that so I had chopped up leaves in my soup)
    *Add about 1/2 cup cream
    *ENJOY! YUMM!!

    Love to the F family!

    ReplyDelete

Let's get this party started! What'dya say?